Sun & Shade blooming plants - Knowledgebase Question

Modesto, Ca
Question by telam777
November 7, 2009
Are there any variety of plants that will bloom in both sun and Shade. I would like to have some consistancy in my from yard but part of it is in the sun and part has shade after the sun goes over the house. The house sits north and south and the front of my house so I have bright sun until about noon when the trees start filtering and eventually blocking the sun on one side of my house.

November 7, 2009

There are actually quite a number of plants that will grow happily in full sun to partial shade. These adaptable perennials include Amsonia Blue Ice, Astrantia Star of Summer, Monarda Grand Parade (Bee Balm), Campanula White Clips (bellflower), Rudbeckia (Black Eyed Susan), Astilbe, Heuchera (coral bells), Spiderwort, Dianthus and viola. There are lots more. When you are checking plants at the garden center, the labels will indicate the best sun exposure. Many perennials will perform well with morning sun and afternoon shade (sometimes listed on the label as full sun/part shade). These will be perfect for your landscape. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"