Tall Phlox Not Blooming - Knowledgebase Question

Ravenna, OH
Question by Grdnwtch
I have tall phlox that bloomed the first year I planted it and has not bloomed since. The plants are three years old. One is in full sun. One is in part sun and the other is in mostly shade. I have fertilized with Peters 20-20-20, once a month since May.

0

A few things may be going on here. First the plants in full shade and part shade probably don't have enough light to flower properly. I'd suggest moving these in the spring after they first emerge from the soil, into a sunny spot. The plants in full sun should flower, but it sounds like you've been adding too much nitrogen fertilizer. I'd only fertilize in spring and then let the plants grow. As long as the plants are healthy, they should flower next year in the sun.