Problems growing ice plant - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, Ca
Question by ken39
November 8, 2009
I live in San Diego, CA. I have tried to get the

November 8, 2009

0

Aptenia cordifolia, or red apple ice plant, does grow in full sunshine but will also tolerate part shade. I suspect that the plants on the sunny slope are not getting the water they need, even though you water regularly. The problem may be due to the slope and water runoff before it percolates down to the rootsytems, or it may be that the soil is not holding sufficient water. You can coax your ice plant into establishing if you amend generous sized planting holes with some compost or other organic matter, mixed into the native soil, with each plant you install. The compost will help hold moisture near the roots. Or, if your plants are already installed, you may need to dig a shelf or small divot on the high side of each plant to act as a bowl to hold water until it soaks into the soil. Either approach should provide needed moisture to the roots so the plants can establish. Once the fibrous roots begin spread out they will aerate the soil and adequate moisture should be readily available to your ice plants.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"