thin white worms in lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Rosa, Ca
Question by jenny_tracy
November 8, 2009
Hi -2 spots lawn tuffs come up easily. I poured dishsoap and thin like thread worms came to surface. What do I have?

November 8, 2009

0

I can't identify the worms without seeing them so I can't really offer any solutions. In general, worms are beneficial to the soil and there are all kinds and sizes. Grubs, on the other hand, can feed on the roots of your lawn and cause the damage you describe. Grubs are fat and thick, not thin and threadlike. So, without really knowing what you are dealing with, I can only suggest you collect a few, put them in a plastic baggie, and take them to your local cooperative extension office for positive identification. They may be beneficials - or they may be destructive. Helpful folks at the extension office can guide you through possible control measures. Contact them at UCCE Sonoma County, 2604 Ventura Ave., Room 100, Santa Rosa, CA 95403 phone (707) 565-2621. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"