plants,winterize - Knowledgebase Question

Question by SHELLYBAR1
November 8, 2009
When do I cut/trim, how,exact cutting area,winter care;if any for: HYDRANGEAS,PEONY,JASMINE, PERENNIAL VINES

I want to be able to enjoy full blooming plants next season too.
Chicago, Il

November 8, 2009

Spring, not fall, is the best time to prune your plants back. At that time you can remove winter kill and get the plants ready for healthy new growth. Start in the spring when new buds begin to swell which indicates they're awake from their winter's rest. Remove everything that's dead - even down to ground level, if necessary. Then shorten the stems of vines and shrubs to control the size. The exception to this rule is with your peonies. After the first hard frost blackens the foliage, cut everything down to ground level and cover over the area with several inches of organic mulch to help protect the crown and roots of your plants. The rest can wait until spring for their pruning. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"