watering - Knowledgebase Question

gardnerville, Ne
Question by rcolvinjr
November 9, 2009
I have a new majesty palm. I've watered it according to the directions 1-2 times per week. I've been careful not to overwater. I've lost six fronds since buying this plant. The fronds are yellowing which I've always understood to mean overwatering. Help!

Bob C

November 9, 2009

Yellowing fronds can indicate overwatering, but since the plant is new, I suspect that it's showing a little stress while it adjusts to growing in your home. It may have gotten chilled during the transport, or it may simply be used to higher light levels and temperatures than it is currently receiving. Majesty palms are generally able to adapt so you may have to be a little more patient with your plant. A healthy sign is new fronds emerging from the center of the plant. They like lots of bright light and a thorough soaking once each week - twice a week in the spring and summer months. Be sure it is not sitting in a draft from heater vents and that the air is not overly dry. Best wishes with your majesty palm!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"