Fill in bare areas of grass - Knowledgebase Question

Cedar Park, Te
Question by mkrueger3
November 9, 2009
I have shaded areas in my back yard where the St. Augustine refuses to grow. I would like to get some grass seed that will grow in the shade. These areas turn into mud when it rains. I'm in Cedar Park Texas near Austin and my front yard is beautiful with the St. Augustine. Any suggestions? Thanks,
Marsha Krueger

November 9, 2009

0

There are several new St. Augustines that are shade tolerant. The blade color is a little different than the standard St. Augustine, but the shape and texture is the same so one of these shade tolerant grasses should work well for you. Bermuda is more shade tolerant than St. Augustine but the leaf texture is different, and eventually it would move in and overtake your St. Augustine. I'd go with AmeriShade, Raleigh, or Bitter Blue cultivars of St. Augustine. Before plugging or spriging, dig the bare areas to ease compaction and mix in some compost or other organic matter to help it remain loose and well draining so puddles won't appear after a rain. I think you'll see a huge improvement in your lawn. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"