Reddish-brown discoloration of Dark American Arborvitaes - Knowledgebase Question

Windsor Locks, Co
Question by aabrham
November 9, 2009
In the middle September of this year, I have planted 60 Dark American Arborvitaes. Most of the trees color is turning to reddish-brown. I am aware of the reddish-brown discoloration occurs on branches closest to the trunk.

The issue I have with is that the outer portions of the trees are turning to reddish-brown color. Do you know by a chance what may the cause of this discoloration? I do have

November 9, 2009

I don't think there's anything wrong with your arborvitaes. The foliage naturally turns a bronze, or reddish-brown color in the fall and winter months when the weather gets cold. It will green up again in the spring, when the weather warms up. To double-check, fold back some of the foliage. If it bends but doesn't break, it is healthy. If it snaps off and is dry, it is not normal but indicates a transplant stress or watering issue. Hope everything is okay with your arborvitates.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"