Golden Shrimp Plant Camaron Amarillo - Knowledgebase Question

Odessa, Fl
Question by brider4
November 9, 2009
I live in Odessa, FL. I purchased 5 Golden Shrimp Plants at my local Home Depot. After getting them home I read that they are for Zone 10. I live in Zone 9 or 9A. Will these work for me or should I return them?

November 9, 2009

Golden Shrimp plant grows in zones 9-11. In zones 10 and 11 it will winter over without problem. In zone 9, your zone, the tops can be killed back by a heavy frost, but the roots are hardy and your plants will resprout when the weather warms. The University of Florida offers the following information: "The golden shrimp plant requires full sun to partial shade and fertile, acid, well-drained soils. The plant should only be expected to successfully overwinter without damage in zones 10 and 11. In zone 9b, the tops will be killed in a severe freeze but regrowth should occur from the roots. Even where this perennial remains unscathed by winter frosts, it should be pruned back hard annually to overcome a tendency toward legginess."

I think it's safe to say your new shrimp plants will be fine in your Odessa garden.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"