tulips - Knowledgebase Question

glenshaw, Pe
Question by herbold1
November 9, 2009
how can i keep my dog from diging up and eating my tulips bulbs i have tried citter off i have waited, a few years
hoping since he's older

i have to have tulips
can you help?

November 9, 2009

0

I'm sure your dog is digging in the earth because it smells so good - freshly dug earth is irresistable! You can plant your tulips in containers and keep them up out of reach until the soil settles and it's no longer an attraction, or you can plant your tulips in the ground and lay chicken wire over the bed. Be sure to anchor it down well. In a month or two the soil will settle and your dog won't be quite so interested in it. The bulbs will grow on schedule and will pop up through the holes in the chicken wire. Another suggestion is to plant some groundcover over the top of the tulips to cover the earth. Wish I had other solutions to share. Good luck with your bulbs!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"