planters for indoors - Knowledgebase Question

Kensington, Ma
Question by annkavi
November 10, 2009
Are terra cotta planters okay for indoors? I just repotted some plants in this material, and it looks as though you can see through wear I water. thanks.

November 10, 2009

Terra cotta pots have some advantage over plastic pots in that they wick water out of the soil, which increases humidity around the plants as the water evaporates. Because of their porousness, they also make it difficult to overwater plants. On the down side, they require more frequent watering and sometimes the soil within the pot can develop air pockets, which can dry out the roots. To avoid this, simply immerse the entire pot in a sinkful of water every 3-4 weeks and allow it to sit for about 30 minutes. This will thoroughly wet the soil and the pot and eliminate any air pockets. You can then water when the top of the potting soil begins to dry out. Be sure to apply enough water when you do water, that it flows freely out the drainage holes. Best wishes with your houseplants!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"