Yellow Squash Pests - Knowledgebase Question

Jupiter, Fl
Question by alnjoyce419
November 11, 2009
I have planted yellow squash and tried dusting them with seven dust but the leaves turned yellow. I tried the seven liquid but the beetles keep eating the plants and I have lost almost all of them. What am I doing wrong? I used timed release fertilizer also. Thank you

November 11, 2009

I know it's annoying to lose squash plants to insects, but there is no easy answer to the problem. If only a few plants are affected, it is most effective to hand pick and destroy squash bugs and eggs. Another option is to place boards or shingles on the ground next to the plants. At night the squash bugs will aggregate under the boards and can then be destroyed each morning. Using resistant varieties such as Butternut, Royal Acorn, or Sweet Cheese and maintaining a healthy plant through proper fertilization and watering are also important to limiting squash bug damage. It is also necessary to remove debris in and around the garden area that could possibly be used as shelter by the bugs. As stated above, by removing debris from the area, overwintering sites for the adults are reduced. Sevin is one of the few insecticides available to home gardeners. If you use it, be sure to apply according to label directions.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"