fall pruning new full sun hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

Holly Springs, Ge
Question by artplsulliv
November 11, 2009
i bought the new full sun hydrangea,
can't think of name and don't have
a plant care tag, when should i
prune/ cut back ??? Holly Springs, GA
thanks.
Phyllis sullivan

November 11, 2009

0

There are a number of hydrangeas that grow in full sun so without a name, I can't be positive that fall is the best time to prune. Many hydrangeas bloom on new growth that comes from old wood. For this reason, I'd hold off on pruning now and instead do your pruning in the spring. Watch to see if new stems emerge from the crown of the plant or whether the new growth comes mainly from the old canes. When you see new leaf buds swell on the old wood, cut the old wood back to about 24" above ground level. All the new stems that grow on the old wood from below your pruning cuts will develop flowers. If no new growth shows on the older canes - all the new growth is from the center of the plant - you will know that your hydrangea blooms on new growth of the season and not on old growth. If this is the case you can prune the plant all the way down to ground level next winter. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"