climber rose - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Zurich, Il
Question by amayaalfredo
November 11, 2009
How to protect the canes of my climber roses for winter? I lose 1

November 11, 2009

Not all roses are created equal and there are some really hardy types that overwinter in zones 2 and 3 without any protection at all. So if winter dieback is common in your garden, you may want to consider replacing your climbers with the most cold hardy available. The first step in overwintering roses is allowing them to go dormant, which they'll naturally do as a result of dropping temperatures and shortening days. They'll stop growing and lose their leaves. Don't prune or fertilize them after midsummer -- both spur new growth that is too tender to withstand cold temperatures, and can reduce the cold hardiness of the entire shrub. However, it is important to keep the soil evenly moist as the roses go dormant. Protect the crowns (the main trunks where they come out of the ground) with a mound of mulch after the first frost of the season. Hope this information helps. Best of luck with your climbers!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"