Brown Japanese Sky Pencil - Knowledgebase Question

Atlanta, Ge
Question by biermans
November 12, 2009
Planted 8 sky pencils in early fall. First 4 planted are starting to brown. With all the Atlanta rain, I have not been tending with water but have added rubber mulch. Last 4 planted seem to be doing well.

November 12, 2009

Newly planted landscape shrubs need about an inch of water per week so if you've been getting that much rain, no supplemental water will be necessary. However, less than an inch a week means you need to water. A good way to tell is to put a rain gauge in the garden so you can keep track of whether or not you need to water. Lack of water can cause browning, but so can overly soggy soils. When soil doesn't drain quickly it can suffocate the roots. So, now you will have to put on your detective cap and determine whether the browning is due to lack of water or poorly draining soil. The four that are doing well may be on the downside where enough water collects (or the water drains better). Sorry I can't pinpoint the problem for you but I hope you have a better understanding of the potential problem. Best wishes with your sky pencils!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"