Potted "standing" giant phyladendrum - Knowledgebase Question

Denver, Co
Question by justmoi21
November 12, 2009
If you send me an email address I would love to show you a photo of this plant.
It's not the viney type its growing tall and unrulely. There is one steak and string tying the base w gun ties in clusters so they don't droop down from the weight.However it's getting tall. It has big elephant leaves. Any feedback would be so much help!I did buy a tripod with 2 rings. Is this plant friendly w metal?

November 12, 2009

0

Philodendron giganteum is the name of your plant and it will grow to about 8 feet in height. While you can prune it down, it will develop a new stalk which will want to grow to 8 feet in height again. You can support it with stakes as you're doing, because the size and weight of the leaves will tend to pull it down. In its natural habitat it would lean on a tree for support. Without this support it would grow like a vine rather than upright like a banana tree. Best wishes with your philodendron!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"