Queen Palm - Knowledgebase Question

Port Charlotte, Fl
Question by jwv121
November 13, 2009
I had a queen palm removed due to Ganoderma. I was told that i could never plant another palm in that spot and then someone else said that I could put in another palm after 6 mos. What advice can you give?

November 13, 2009

0

Ganoderma butt rot of palms is a lethal and incurable disease which affects mature palms. The causal organism Ganoderma zonatum, a type of shelf or bracket fungus, was only identified by scientists at the University of Florida Research and Education Center in 1994 and is widespread now. This disease is particularly insidious in that it attacks only mature trees. In addition, it seems that very few if any palms are resistant to this disease. According to experts at the University, "The diseased palm should not be replaced with another palm as fungus present in the soil and roots of the diseased tree will probably infect the new tree. Trees other than palms are not susceptible to the disease. If you must replant a new palm, you can try to remove all the old soil and roots and bring in fresh soil. This may or may not work in the long run." I'd replace the palm with a different type of tree rather than run the risk that a new palm planted in the spot will not contract the disease.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"