iceberg lettuce - Knowledgebase Question

Inez, Te
Question by dave77901
November 14, 2009
It seems from all the articles i have read that my iceberg lettuce has gone to bolting...I have kept them well watered and fertilized. Will they still produce lettuce now that they seem to be bolting or how can i reverse this.

November 14, 2009

0

Lettuces can bolt if the weather is too warm, or if they are allowed to overmature. Air temperatures of about 60 degrees is their preference and they will bolt if temps are consistently above that. Once they bolt (go to seed), there's no way to reverse the process. You can harvest Iceberg lettuce at any stage of development, but most gardeners wait until the heads reach 5-6 inches in diameter. Each plant will only produce one head of lettuce, so once you cut it, you'll have to plant new seeds to get a new head of lettuce. Next time you plant lettuce, plant only a few seeds, wait two weeks and plant more seeds, then wait two more weeks and plant more seeds? If you extend your planting times, the lettuce won't mature all at once.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"