New soil w/mushroms - Knowledgebase Question

Whittier, Ca
Question by nitahenrilee
November 14, 2009
I bought several yards of planter soil. I have lots of mushrooms poping up in the soil. Do I need to add something to the soil to get rid or the mushrooms? I am only watering once a week.

November 14, 2009

The mushrooms are growing because there's a food source. Decomposing compost or bark mulch in your planter is prime real estated for mushrooms. The mushrooms are harmless to your plants or to your soil. They are quite common and nothing to be concerned about. It just means there's lots of organic matter that is fresh and moist. You can rake them out of the planter soil, which will also move the soil around so sunlight and air can reach the material. In fact, if you periodically rake the top few inches to incorporate fresh air and sunshine, you can avoid having mushrooms pop up. As the planter soil ages it won't be quite so moist, and you won't have mushrooms growing. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"