tree problem - Knowledgebase Question

durham, No
Question by jkurczak
November 15, 2009
I had a green vase zalcova planted last year. I just noticed a very long deep gash on the lower trunk. It is about 8 inches long and about 2 inches deep into the tree Is there something I can fill this with or can I tape it? Any suggestions? Thanks.

November 15, 2009

0

Zelkova serrata 'Green Vase' tends to have weak wood and is subject to splitting, especially at the base and especially if it has been wounded (string trimmers are the usual subjects, but they can split from sunscald, too). Usually the tree will compartmentalize the wound and heal it over all by itself. I never recommend dressing these types of wounds. Anything you do will interfere with the natural healing process. Just give the tree time to heal itself and be careful not to reinjure the bark. Best wishes with your tree!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"