Can I put these in my compost bin? - Knowledgebase Question

Temple City, Ca
Question by johnsonsung
November 15, 2009
Can I add fruits and vegetables that have gone bad and started to grow mold into my compost bin? I know that diseased plants should not be added, does that also apply to plants that are getting moldy? Thank you!

November 15, 2009

Moldy fruits and vegetables are in the first stages of decomposition and placing them in a working compost pile is just fine. There they will continue to decompose. To ensure that the pathogens die, all you need to do is turn your compost pile on a regular basis so it heats up. The heat will kill the pathogens. Your compost pile will generate the highest temperatures in the center of the pile. Regularly turning the pile to move the hot material to the sides or edges and the cool material from the sides to the center will keep your pile cooking. Decomposition will be swift and most pathogens will die off.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"