christmas cactus - Knowledgebase Question

Kensington, Ma
Question by annkavi
November 16, 2009
I love this houseplant, but i'm concerned that it will need a lot of light to grow in and my house is a bit on the shadier side? How tolerant are they of shade? thanks

November 16, 2009

0

Christmas cactus performs best in bright light so try to find an area where you might be comfortable reading a newspaper, or one where natural light would develop a shadow if you held your hand a few inches away from a newspaper page. This amount of light should keep your plant happy. If you have no west or south facing windows you may want to consider using supplemental artificial light. Gro lites can provide the light your plant needs. Give it a try first. If your Christmas cactus fails to grow or to develop flower buds, you'll know you need to supplement the natural light in your home. Best wishes with your Christmas cactus!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"