Madagascar Dragon Trees - Knowledgebase Question

North Vernon, In
Question by johnathanmul
November 16, 2009
I was at the mall recently and noticed the same plants that I have in my home. They are Madagascar Dragon Trees, but their's were huge with many branches. mine is just one long stem with three plumes up top. What is the best fertilizer for these trees and does cutting them for propagataion make them healthier?

November 16, 2009

Your Madagascar Dragon tree is Dracaena marginata. There are five different types of Dracaena marginata on the market today. A green variety, Tri-color, Bi- color, Colorama, and Magenta. Dragon Trees are available from small starter plants to twenty foot plus specimens. They are grown in several variations such as Staggered plants, Exotic shape, Branched, tips or bush and tree form. Due to the many forms of this plant their specs can vary. Some are tall and narrow while others are very wide. Specimen plants can reach 15 to 20 feet in height. I think this explains why yours looks a little different. If you saw plants with many stems and branches, you were looking at containers that included several plants, some of which were pruned down to different levels. When you cut the main stem of a dracaena it usually responds by growing 2-3 new stems. You can prune yours down to achieve this same look. Dracaena doesn't like to be fertilized. It's happy growing at its own pace. Hope this answers your question.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"