New plant - Knowledgebase Question

Sebring, Fl
Question by donandjt
November 16, 2009
I just purchased a stromanthe triostar plant. I want to know where to plant it outdoors and how to care for it. Sun? Water?

November 16, 2009

0

If there?s one plant that tops every list of tropical landscape plants, then that is Stromanthe sanguinea. This calathea relative is often sold under the name ?Tricolor? but it also known as Tricolor Stromanthe or Triostar Ginger.

Stromanthe sanguinea is mainly grown for its richly variegated foliage that comes in pink, dark pink or burgundy, white, and green colors. During spring time, sanguinea produces reddish-pink flowers. In addition to the multi-colored foliage many observant and experienced gardeners noticed that it has both nyctinastic (night) and heliotropic (sun) movements that are controlled at the swollen area near the base of the leaf. At this portion, the pigments, Phytochrome triggers the night position of the leaves and the cryptochrome triggers the day movements.

Stromanthe sanguinea exhibits a clump-forming growth to about 3.5 feet making it an excellent container plant. It performs well as a landscape and garden patios plant and is loved by many as a house plant. You can plant it in full or partial sunshine, in well draining garden soil. I think some protection from hot summer sunshine helps it hold its color a little better than if it is planted in afternoon sun. Water thoroughly when the top of the soil is dry to the touch. Enjoy your beautiful plant!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "