Oak tree - Knowledgebase Question

Cocoa, Fl
Question by tommyjoanals
November 16, 2009
My oak tree (only 3 yrs old) has small greenish, lacy looking stuff on the trunk and the branches. Small branches are dying and sometimes small ants are crawling all over it. It doesn't look healthy like the other one planted at the same time.
Do you think it is a fungus and what can I do to correct it. I was gone all summer, it was terribly dry but that didn't seem to bother the other one. Joan

November 16, 2009

It sounds as though your oak tree is playing host to either lichen or moss. This can grow on bark when the humidity is high, there's lack of good air circulation around the tree, or it is not getting adequate sunlight. You can kill the algae/lichen/moss with lime sulfur (Bordeaux) but it will return unless you improve the growing conditions for your oak. You may want to consider digging and transplanting it to a more open spot in your landscape. Best wishes with your tree!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"