white powder on my sago palm - Knowledgebase Question

Kemah, Te
Question by CELIASCHLEH
November 16, 2009
I have 5 sago palms in my backyard. I notice that two of them have this looking white powder on their leaves I bought in home depot this insect killer that was recommended by one of the garden reps whit no luck, now one of them has all the leaves down. What can I do to save it and to prevent the others to get infected?

November 16, 2009

0

What you describe sounds like a fungal disease called powdery mildew. To reduce additional infections, avoid overhead watering to help reduce the relative humidity. Remove and destroy all infected plant parts (leaves, etc.). Selectively prune overcrowded plant material to help increase air circulation. This helps reduce relative humidity and infection. If cultural controls fail to prevent disease buildup, or if the disease pressure is too great, an application of a fungicide may be necessary. These include: sulfur, neem oil (Rose Defense, Shield-All, Triact), triforine (Ortho Funginex), or potassium bicarbonate (Kaligreen, First Step) Chemicals are most effective when combined with cultural controls. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"