Heavy rain resistant annuals - Knowledgebase Question

Amherst, Ma
Question by Tccoleman
November 16, 2009
I'm already thinking about the spring! For the past 6 years I have planted Petunias and marigolds. They start off great but then heavy rainfall in June stunts them. They never fully recover. They are not Grandiflora. They are multiflora.I know grand's don't hold up! Can you suggest an Annual that can stand heavy rain? Not necesarily a petunia or marigold.

November 16, 2009

Since rain and soggy soils are common in your garden I think you'll have better luck with your annuals if you plant them in raised beds so the soil drains quickly or if you install a curtain drain to help the soil in your flower garden drain a little faster. Amending the soil with lots of organic matter such as compost will also help it drain quickly. Alyssum 'Wonderland? Citron' (Lobularia maritime) with very fragrant pastel yellow flowers on uniform plants 4 inches tall with 6-inch spread are cold and rain tolerant. Full sun annual ideal for rock gardens, borders, containers, and hanging baskets. Petunia F1 'Symphony Light Blue' (Petunia x hybrida) which is compact and free flowering with excellent after-rain recovery. Large 2.5- to 3-inch blooms on 12- to 15-inch tall plants spreading 18 to 20 inches. 'Light Blue' is the 13th multiflora petunia in the series. Coreopsis tinctoria crimson is anoher suggestion. Hope these work well in your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"