Hosta - Knowledgebase Question

Dayton, Oh
Question by MajaHF
November 17, 2009
My hosta is dying.
All clumps of hosta slovly dying and disappearing. When I look, the roots in ground are dryed up and look like a klump of dry hairs left in shape of roots. No one in local nurseries could help. This started in one area, now is spreading in all our yard, in hostas far away from each other. Hopefully you can help. Thank you. Maria

November 17, 2009

0

Hostas tend to dissolve and disappear in the fall but they generally resprout in the spring. If the leaves are disappearing, they have probably experienced cold temperatures and are going into dormancy. The root systems are typically robust, though so the main concern is that the roots are shriveling. The only real reason for that is lack of sufficient moist (or being in a spot that remains much too wet). I'd dig the remaining hostas up, amend the soil with compost, aged manure or even bagged mushroom compost to make a more hospitible place for growth. Be sure your hostas are getting the shady conditions they prefer. Some hostas will tolerate some sunshine but most prefer growing in the shade so check to make sure yours are getting the proper sun/shade exposure. I think with well amended soil, proper watering and shady conditions, your hostas will thrive.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"