Problem Indoor Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Snoqualmie, Wa
Question by normgreen3
November 18, 2009
Thank you for your reply conerning the Areca plant.
On the same occasion that I purchased this plant, I also purchased a

November 18, 2009

0

False Aralia is Schefflera elegantissima, sometimes known as Dizygotheca elegantissima. This is a low light plant and it needs lots of moisture. Brown edges on an Aralia usually develop from lack of humidity. Try increasing the humidity by misting and placing the plant on a tray of pebbles that are kept wet. Brown edges can also be caused by using a fertilizer that is too strong or by exposing the plant to a constant draft. If the leaves of all your houseplants are drying out, they may be too close to heater vents or are receiving fireplace/wood stove radiated heat. Overwatering can also cause the leaves to turn crispy.

Try placing your houseplants in an area away from heater vents (or doors that are frequently opened). Set them on a tray in which you add a layer of gravel and keep a half inch of water. When the water evaporates it will increase humidity around the plants. Make sure the containers are not sitting in the water - overly soggy soils can cause root rot. Water thoroughly when you water, allowing the top half inch of potting soil to dry out between waterings.

Hope this information helps you save your houseplants!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"