carnivorous plant health - Knowledgebase Question

springfield, Oh
Question by Maxxnumbs
November 18, 2009
When I buy a carnivorous plant, I use distilled water and try to catch bugs. The problem is when I transplant it to a terrium and soak the soil putting a grow light over the plants, there is not enough condensation on the glass I think. The plants turn black in the middle and die. How can I transplant them to a bigger display and keep them alive?

November 18, 2009

0

Carnivorous plants such as Venus Fly Traps actually need only 40-70 percent humidity and if yours are turning black, it means the humidity is too high and air circulation is poor. There's a happy medium between the closed environment in your terrarium and the natural growing conditions of a Venus Fly Trap. You'll need to keep the lid slightly ajar in order to allow fresh air in. Here's a website with tons of information on Venus Fly Traps. I hope you find it helpful:
http://www.botany.org/bsa/misc...

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"