chinese palm fern - Knowledgebase Question

Hinckley, Oh
Question by evelyngedeon
November 18, 2009
Looked good at first. Now leaves are drying and looks awful. Soil is like vermiculite almost. Do I water too much?

November 18, 2009

0

If the foliage looks dried out and it's not because of sunscald, I suspect you are watering too much. Vermiculite generally doesn't hold a lot of water, but it does indicate that the soil mix was deliberate because people tend to overwater houseplants. It's difficult to know exactly when to water if you can't tell whether or not the soil is still moist. I think I would be inclined to repot the plant into regular potting soil so you can tell when the top of the soil is drying out (either by color change or by feeling the top of the soil). This way you'll know when to water. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"