miniature rose care - Knowledgebase Question

Barrigada, Gu
Question by japconst
November 18, 2009
I recently purchased 2 pots of miniature rose-one is orange and the other, yellow. I repotted one with a mixture of perlite, peat moss soil and fertilized both. The other was already in good soil. However, about a week later, a

November 18, 2009

Without knowing what kind of bug is eating the leaves, I'm not sure what to advise. Caterpillars can feed on rose leaves and they are not usually bothered by pesticides but they can be controlled with Bt (sold as Dipel or Thuricide). You'll want to carefully inspect your roses for signs of caterpillars. Look on the undersides of the leaves or look for frass (bug poop) on the soil surface or the surface of the leaves. One product that seems to work well is called Rose Defense. It is neem oil based and has a residual effect so it usually controls beetles and it can also help keep diseases at bay. Just do a little more detective work and I think you'll discover the pest responsible for eating the leaves. Once you do, you can either hand pick the pest or use a product that specifically targets that pest. Good luck with your roses!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"