phlox plant - Knowledgebase Question

Jamaica, Ne
Question by rmdios916
November 18, 2009
What do I do with the spent flowers of my phlox plant? Is it advisable to cut the plant to ground level?

November 18, 2009

0

As the flowers fade you can prune away the entire flowering stem. This helps renew the plant and encourages more growth. In the fall, after the plants have experienced a hard frost and are dormant, you can prune to almost ground level to remove the dead stems and foliage. Wait until your plants are truly dormant before cutting them back. Then mulch over the top of the plants with several inches of shredded leaves, pine needles or even pine boughs - any fluffy organic matter that will allow air circulation but still insulate against the cold. Next spring your perennial phlox will resprout and bloom nicely for you all summer long. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"