seeds for between a river rock paver path - Knowledgebase Question

Sierra Madre, Ca
Question by myra10
November 18, 2009
Hi, I have a river rock paver path with narrow spaces inbetween where I planted Irish moss. The path is in full sun. A lot of the Irish moss has gone brown and looks awful.Should I pull the brown moss out and plant a low growing seed to fill in the gaps or buy another flat of Irish moss? The path gets water every day. What would fit in with Irish moss that can take full sun?

November 18, 2009

0

Sagina subulata or Irish moss makes a dense, compact, mosslike mass of slender leaves on slender stems. Although they look like moss, they won't grow well under the conditions that suit true mosses. Provide rich, well-draining soil, full sun to part shade, and occasional feeding with a slow-acting fertilizer. If yours is dying out, the reflected heat from the river rocks might be too much for it. Another, slightly higher growing, plant you might consider is creeping thyme. It thrives in heat and reflected sunlight and works well between stones. You can purchase a single plant to see how it does in your yard. If you like the way it looks and behaves you can divide the plant by cutting out small plugs that include both roots and stems and replant in other areas of the path. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "