Filling a hole in yard - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by missdaisysmi
November 18, 2009
We had a mole(I think) burrow around two sides of my foundation. Now I have water coming in my basement. What do I use to fill in the hole? How do I get rid of the mole? Thank you.

November 18, 2009

0

This sounds like an opportunity to put in a curtain drain to redirect the water. Dig a trench parallel to the foundation and either fill it with gravel or set a layer of gravel and then a perforated pipe covered with gravel in the trench. The pipe (and/or the gravel) will provide a place for the excess water to collect and if you angle it away from the house it will move the water away from the foundation. Place a layer of sand over the gravel and your lawn will grow over the trench so you won't even know it's there.

Moles can be exasperating when they take up residence in a yard. The critters tunnel through the soil feeding on grubs, worms and beetles. Sometimes they chew through plant roots and bulbs, causing damage to the plants. The best way to control these pests is by trapping. Invest in one or two scissors-type traps and set them in the active runs. The best approach is to use a stiff metal probe (like a straightened wire coathanger) to find the main runs. Start at a mound of soil and explore the ground with the probe, finding the longest tunnel. You'll be able to tell by whether or not the probe penetrates into the soil easily. Short tunnels are used infrequently, so your best chance of trapping will be by placing a trap in a frequently used main run. Once you've found a likely tunnel, set the trap and cover it with a section of turf or a board to exclude daylight. Keep setting the trap until you stop catching moles. It may take an entire season, but persistence pays off and eventually you'll reduce the population of the creatures. Healthy soil naturally has a large population of insects. As long as the insects inhabit the soil, moles will be attracted. Wish there were an easier way to eliminate moles from the landscape.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"