pruning roses - Knowledgebase Question

Mooresburg, Te
Question by realblonde
November 19, 2009
I have two questions. I know that some roses should be pruned in the sporing, but some of mine arelooking pretty bad so is it alright to prune them now? Sewcondly, what about knockout roses...some people prune now and some wait until the spring...what is the best?

Thank you
Nancy

November 19, 2009

0

Regular shrub roses should be pruned when they are dormant - usually late winter or early spring before new growth begins. If yours have experienced a hard freeze or two they should be dormant and you can prune them back now. If they haven't gone into dormancy, wait until later in the year to prune them. If you prune while they are still actively growing any new growth they develop will be killed by winter weather. So just be patient and wait for them to go into dormancy before pruning.

Knockout roses are an exception to this rule. They don't seem to mind being pruned at any time of the year. You can prune them back now or you can wait until they are dormant and prune them back then.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject. Best wishes with your roses.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"