Bermuda spreading into Tall Fescue - Knowledgebase Question

Huntersville, No
Question by rickpcoffe
November 19, 2009
I have a tall fescue lawn with bermuda creeping in. It doesn't bother me in the summer, but now that the weather is turning colder, I've got dormant patches. Would you recommend cutting out the Bermuda? Can I overseed with something that will keep it green year-round?

November 19, 2009

0

I think the different grasses are trying to compete with each other and total eradication may not be possible. Fescue lawns grow best in cooler temperatures; Bermuda loves hot weather. So, as the fescue is going dormant or at least is not actively growing in heat of summer, the Bermuda is just coming into its own. Digging out the Bermuda and reseeding with fescue is one approach, using a Bermuda grass herbicide is another. Reseeding will be necessary once you've gotten rid of the Bermuda. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"