Flying Gnats - Knowledgebase Question

Detroit, Mi
Question by kimberelyj
November 19, 2009
I have gnats in my home that I can't find the source of where they are coming from. I have no standing water anywhere & no pets. Could you please advised how I can get rid of them. Despite they are driving me crazy.
Kimberely Johnson

November 19, 2009

0

Gnats can be really annoying! If the problem is relatively constant regardless of the time of year, then the source is most likely originating indoors. Potted plants and other types of interiorscaping are often the culprits. Check plants to see if the soil is excessively wet. Drain any excess water from the dish/container below flower pots. If the weather permits, move the plants outdoors or allow the soil to dry (not to the point where plants will wilt). Then, increase the interval between regular watering and the problem should decline. You can use a soil drench such as Gnatrol or Insecticidal soap to help control the pests. If they are not in your houseplant soil, check areas where moisture is commonly found: kitchens, bathrooms, utility rooms (e.g., a leak in the waterline to a clothes washer), as well as crawlspaces. Check other areas where leaks may occur as a result of storm damage or poor maintenance, e.g., roofs and crawlspaces. A leak through a break in the membrane material can cause the underlying insulation to become wet and subsequently moldy - an ideal habitat for fungus gnats. Inspect the roof and ceiling below for signs of leaks. Try to determine what areas of the building have the highest numbers of gnats. Check window ledges, light fixtures, etc. Fungus gnats are mobile and are more likely to move towards a nearby source of light. Correcting a moisture problem and cleaning the area should eliminate the fungus gnats fairly quickly. If you still cannot find the source, try plugging up all the drains in your sinks when they are not in use (to remove the water source) and setting a glass or two on the kitchen and bathroom counters in which you pour a few inches of vinegar. The vinegar attracts the gnats and with any luck they will fall in and drown. Once you get rid of the current population and keep them from feeding and breeding, you should effectively stop the pesky critters. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"