Mums - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, Ge
Question by dawnzeller
November 19, 2009
My mums have bloomed and now are bare looking. Will they bloom again? Do I need to cut them back & when? Can I leave them in the pots they came in or do I have to plant them?

November 19, 2009

You can prune off the faded flowers, cutting the stem back to a pair of leaves. If your weather stays warm they will flower again. The plants will continue to grow until December, at which time they will go dormant. It would be best to plant them in the ground but if you would rather keep them in their containers, I'd either sink the pots into the garden to help protect the roots over the winter months, or insulate the pots so the roots won't suffer from the cold. In the spring you can cut back all the dead stems and new stems will emerge from the crown of the plant. Best wishes with your mums.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"