problems with my Peacer Lilly - Knowledgebase Question

North Miami, Fl
Question by juliang_co
November 19, 2009
Hello, my name is Julian and i have a Peace Lilly at home, but im experiencing some dificulties. The leaves are very dry at the point and like brownish color. And also the flowers dosen't last long (about three days). I had pour som plant food, also I spray the leaves twice a day because I know the air inside my house is very dry no humidity what so ever. What am I doing wrong?

November 19, 2009

With most houseplants the browning leaf tips usually means too much water. I don't know if that's your peace lily, but you can monitor your watering, thoroughly wetting the potting soil and then allowing the top half inch to dry out before watering again. I suspect it might also be a symptom of dry air or of salt buildup in the soil. Salts in the water and in fertilizer build up over time. Browning usually occurs on the old leaves first. This excess salt accumulates in the leaf edges, where it kills the tissue and the leaf dries out and turns brown. It's important to water deeply and slowly. At least once a month, water deeply enough to "leach" or push salts well below the root zone. Frequent, light sprinklings allow salts to accumulate in the top layers of soil, where the roots are, which is bad news. Similar symptoms occur when too much fertilizer has been applied. Always water plants thoroughly before and after applying fertilizer to help prevent burn. Also, if plants are in too much direct sunlight, foliage can yellow and then turn brown, as it is basically burning. Id start by flushing your plant with water under a hose or faucet and let the water run out the bottom to leach away possible salts. Then examine the plant's environment for appropriate lighting and watering. I'd hold off on fertilizer for a month to see if there's any improvement. Fertilizer forces a plant to grow, which can be stressful if the plant isn't healthy. When you do fertilize, use a fertilizer higher in phosphorous (the middle number) to promote bloom. Hope this information helps you determine just what might be causing the browning leaf tips. Best wishes with your peace lily.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"