azaleas - Knowledgebase Question

port Jeff Sta, Ne
Question by oscarmarge
November 19, 2009
I received a beautiful azalea plant as a gift and it is still full of blooms and I have it indoors. When and how should I put it outside in the ground? I live on Long Island in New York.

November 19, 2009

0

Your azalea is probably a florist's azalea which has been forced to bloom under greenhouse conditions. It won't survive outdoors this winter so plan on keeping it inside until spring. As the flowers fade you can prune them off the plant. Keep it in a brightly lit area and water when the top half inch of soil dries out. You can take it outdoors in the spring when the weather warms up, setting it first in a shady spot and gradually moving it into a spot with a little morning sunshine. You can plant it once it adjusts to being outside. Enjoy your azalea!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"