WHAT PLANTS WILL WORK? - Knowledgebase Question

WAIANAE, Ha
Question by ROCKSHONEY
November 19, 2009
ALOHA,I WANT TO PLANT SOME PLANTS/FLOWERS IN MY GARDEN WHICH IS PART SHADE/SUN. ALSO THE AREA HAS ALOT OF WIND IN THE P.M., CAN YOU SUGGEST SOME THAT HAS FRAGRANCE AND CAN HANDLE WIND. THANK YOU

November 19, 2009

0

About the only plants that hate wind are ferns (hapuu) bananas, and heliconias. They will still grow in windy areas, but they may get a "tattered" look to them. I'd suggest using native shrubs and tropical plants in your landscape. They handle the growing conditions without problem. Ewa Hinahina (Achyranthes splendens) a Small, silvery grey-green shrub: Maile (Alyxia oliviformis) - Small flowers represent the 4 mythic Maile sisters of hula; 'Anapanapa (Colubrina asiatica), a tough vinelike plant that is wind and salt tolerant; 'A'ali'i (Dodonaea viscosa) a tough wind resistant plant with red berries; Ma'o (Gossypium tomentosum) which produces bright yellow flowers year-round; Ma'o Hau Hele (Hibiscus brackenridgei) Hawaiian state flower with large yellow flowers; Naio (Myoporum sandwicense) has lots of flowers and smells of sandalwood; 'Ulei (Osteomeles anthyllidifolia) with white, fragrant blossoms and round fruit; Beach Naupaka (Scaevola sericea) is dense and spreading with white/cream colored fragrant flowers; 'Ilima (Sida fallax) has beautiful flowers; Pohinahina (Vitex rotundifolia) is drought-tolerant and hardy with velvety, silvery leaves. You might also consider Allspice (Pimentia dioica), Ixora, and Chinese Violet (Asystasia gangetica). Hope these suggestions are helful!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"