watering new fruit trees - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by kaygfox
November 20, 2009
I just recently planted small 7 gallon pot fruit trees...pears, fig, oranges...how often do I water and when do I fertilize?

November 20, 2009

0

Your trees will need one inch of water per week. Deep soaking is the key to healthy growth so if you haven't already, make a basin or watering well beneath each tree. Fill the basin, allow to drain, then fill a second time. Watering in this manner will concentrate the water over the root mass and as it trickles down it will wet the entire root system. Enlarge the watering basin as your trees grow. Citrus is usually fed 3-4 times a year. Use an especially formulated citrus food and feed in amounts and with the frequency as listed on the label. Use only the amounts suggested for the size of your tree - too much is worse than not enough fertlizer! Pear and fig trees can be fed in the springtime. A general purpose 10-10-10 should be fine for them. Best wishes with your new trees!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"