start rose from cutting - Knowledgebase Question

Richardson, Te
Question by oakleyjune
November 20, 2009
I have a white rose I would like to start another frim its cuttings It is about 20 years old. so far I have unsuccessful.

November 20, 2009

0

Summer is the best time to take cuttings from your rose bush. You can start rose cuttings in the following way: choose 'ripe' stems that have had some bloom and are pencil size in diameter with 3 or more 'nodes' (where leaves join the stems). Remove all but the top 2 leaves with a razor blade and make 3 shallow verticle cuts just through the bark on the lower part of each cutting. Dip in water and then in rooting hormone, shaking off the excess. Plant in moistened peat moss or perlite, place 3 sticks on opposite edges of the container and drape plastic wrap over the top to make a rooting chamber. It will take 3-6 weeks for rooting to begin. Keep the container in the shade and repot after new growth shows and your cuttings have developed substantial root systems. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"