orchids - Knowledgebase Question

plainville, Co
Question by gboains
November 20, 2009
how can I maintain the life of the plant after all the flowers are gone.

November 20, 2009

Orchids need very well-drained medium to grow in, so I'd pot them in orchid soil mixed with bark chips. They also like to be crowded in the container, so don't repot to a larger size. Grow them in bright, filtered light (or under a grow light) for 10-15 hours per day, fertilize lightly during the growing season and keep the root medium moist. Temperatures should be about 70 during the day and 60 at night. Mist the plant daily, or increase humidity by placing the pot on a tray of pebbles to which you add tepid water every few days. Keep the water level in the tray below the base of the pot, or else the soil may become waterlogged, and cause root rot. Now that yours has finished blooming you can prune the flowering stem off the plant. Enjoy your orchid!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"