Repair on a storm damaged tree - Knowledgebase Question

ashland, Ma
Question by peterbarnar
November 20, 2009
2 years ago I repaired a split to a major limb of a Thread-leaf japanese maple. I used plastic cable ties and the break seems to have mended well.How will I know when to remove the ties so I w'ont girdle the limb?

November 20, 2009

0

Two years should be plenty of time for the tree to seal up the wound. You can start by loosening the cable ties so they are no longer clamped tight, but don't completely remove them. You might find that windy weather this winter will put additional stress on the limb. Watch the tree during and after storms. If everything appears to be solid with no additional cracks you can completely remove the cable ties. If you begin to see little cracks developing, replace the ties before additional damage occurs. Best wishes with your maple!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"