Garlic - Knowledgebase Question

Gainesville, Ge
Question by mlwtad
November 20, 2009
I had written earlier asking about Garlic and I wanted to know what type soil Garlic liked. Acidic or what.Give me some name recommendations to improve the soil for Garlic. Also I mentioned that I usually bought my cloves from the grocery store and you said they may have been treated with a growth inhibitor. If not from the grocery store, where do you buy them?
Miller Watkins

November 20, 2009

Garlic grows in slightly acidic to slightly alkaline soils. Most garden soil is just fine for garlic. If you want to amend your soil, use compost (either bagged or homemade). Garlic is available in nurseries that sell seed potatoes and packaged seeds, or you can order online from seed catalogs, or purchase locally grown garlic from vendors at local Farmer's Markets. Sometimes you can find garlic starts in small containers in the vegetable section in the garden department of Home Depot. While you can plant garlic cloves you purchase at the grocery store, they may not produce well because they've been treated with a growth inhibitor.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"