girard's pleasant white azalea - Knowledgebase Question

Skokie, Il
Question by maltesepeanu
November 21, 2009
I live in Skokie,IL. I purchased 6 small of the above plants from Home Depot last spring. They were planted correctly and grew beautifully until now. The leaves are all turning yellow. I don't know why. They are getting enough water. I can think of no reason for this to happen, and I am very worried that they will not survive. HELP!!

November 21, 2009

Yellowing leaves can indicate overwatering or poorly draining soils, or, if the soil is not acidic enough, azaleas can develop chlorosis (a yellowing of the leaves while the veins remain green). Chlorosis can be corrected with applications of Chelated Iron. Girard's Pleasant White Azalea was developed in Ohio and is hardy in your gardening region so the problem is not weather related, but soil related. You may need to dig down near the roots to make sure the soil is not remaining soggy wet for extended periods of time. If it is not draining properly you might want to plant them in a raised area to facilitate better drainage. Hope this information helps you determine just what might be causing the yellowing. Best wishes with your azaleas.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"