Clematis - Knowledgebase Question

Port McNeill, BC
Question by cubby38
I am asking some help in identifying a clematis I planted 5 years ago and has bloomed fro the first time this summer. I planted it so that the light was being blocked by a building on my hydro pole. It has now reached about 20 - 25 feet high up the pole and I saw the flowers for the first time yesterday, so it is a late summer bloomer. The flowers are small, about an inch across and white, looking almost fluffy as the pistols are very long and upright.

0

Your clematis might be the 'Sweet Autumn' species. (Clematis dioscoreifolia). It's native to Japan and grows tall, forming billowy masses of one-inch wide creamy white, fragrant flowers in late summer and fall. It has dark green, glossy leaves divided into 3-5 overal, 1-2 1/2 inch long leaflets.