orchid care - Knowledgebase Question

Baltimore, Ma
Question by adeleraiz
November 22, 2009
what is the best way to care for my dendrobium orchid? it is currently out of bloom; after the blossoms fell off I removed the stalk which turned yellow. when to re-pot?

November 22, 2009

0

You were right in removing the flowering stalk after it turned yellow. Orchids are some of the most popular and rewarding houseplants! There are many, many kinds, each with slightly different growing requirements, but dendrobiums are the easiest of all to care for. They like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Supplement with artificial light in the winter time if necessary. Keep the potting medium moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Next time yours flowers and the flower is spent, cut the stem off just below where the old flower was. It should develop another flower. When that one is spent, cut the entire flowering stem down to foliage level. Orchids flower best when they are pot-bound so don't be in a hurry to repot. Usually every 3-4 years they're ready to be repotted. Enjoy your orchid!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"